Terminus adventis linguaque vivens

Well, I'm back after a week of no computers at my grandparents' house in Philadelphia. I was there with my sister and goddaughter, which was fun--lots of baby time. When I got to Knoxville last Sunday (just in time to fly to Philadelphia Monday morning), I got to put Hana to sleep because she was crying and Kris needed to pack. It took a while, and all the Advent and Christmas songs I know, but she finally fell asleep in my arms, which was pretty cool, and I made the transfer to the crib without a problem! Also, she gave me my Christmas present early--a "year of Hana Grace" calendar, entirely handmade by "Ma" (who wisely decided not to make it a page-a-day Hana Grace calendar!). Very well done, and I will proudly post it on my wall as soon as I return to Indianapolis.

It was good to spend some time with the grandfolks too, of course. Gran is recovering from a recent illness, so we didn't get out much, but it was good for her and Pa to see a lot of energy bouncing around their house in Kris, Hana, and me. It was also helpful to live at a slower pace that I normally do.

Tasks for my week at home before I (potentially) return to South Bend for New Years include finishing some grad school applications, searching for a fun summer job (post ideas in the comments thread), and working on some languages with my little brother. As far as summer jobs go, I'm looking either for something akin to a governors' school (as an RA), or for something adventurous and outdoors. Especially if I get into a PhD program for next year, an adventure summer would be refreshing. And as for languages, my Drew decided to teach me Arabic, and I'm teaching him Latin, which I insist is a living language. For example, did you know that Finland broadcasts its news in Latin, and has a news-in-brief on its EU Presidency site? And of course, Latin is the official language of the Vatican city-state.

Praise for Latin from the Economist

Finland makes Latin the King

Conspectus rerum Latinus (News from the EU Presidency)

No comments:

The art of empathy in dramatic times

Over the past few years, my wife Christina and I have gotten involved in local theater (in the audience only - no auditions...yet!). I love ...